Monday, February 12, 2007

"Herbs" & "Missouri"

I've never quite understood why soooooooo many people mispronounce these two words; herbs & Missouri!?!?!? First of allit's a Herb..with a fucking H before any other letter....thus, it should be HERB..not ERB!!..Why do so many people say the later?...OK, sure..I should lessen my inclusion of 'people' to Americans..cause..as Eddie Izzard once said... it's pronounced Herb, causeit has a fucking H in it!! I know a few British people and they ALWAYS pronounce it with the H..why is it we Americans don't?....

Now on to the next matter at hand..the Word "Missouri"...I love to watch the the "news Hour with Jim Lerher"..I've been watching it since back in the early 80's when it was called "The McNeil/Lerher News Hour".....it's on PBS for any of you that aren't aware of that...probally the single BEST news coverage on TV these days...Anywayz...i do digress..back to the word Missouri...

I was watching the News Hour the other night and Jim Lerher actually said Missour-A instead of Missour-I!?!?!?! ..I almost fellout of my seat!! Once again i don't see an A at the end of the word i see a fucking I!!! How could anyone pronounce that with the lower A sound vs an I sound?....It's as if these people choose purposely to either add a leter or subtract one!!

I just plain don't get it!?!? I guess those that live closer to the Kansas border tend to sai Missouri with an A sound and those closer to the Illinois border use the I sound. Shouldn't we all use the Webster's dictionary form of the word?..If that were the case then it would be the short I sound and also the H sound before the word Herb!!

I bet if we all took the time to correct those that mispronounce these 2 words we'd have alot less friends and could spend more time reading "Lord of The Flies". What fun that might be!!! GAG

No comments: